June 6, 2012

Angel Eyes

~*~
by Shannon Dittemore
Christian YA Fantasy
Once you've seen, you can't unsee

Description from Goodreads:
Brielle’s a ballerina who went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She’s come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can’t seem to shake.
Jake’s the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.
Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what’s going to happen. And a beauty brighter than Jake or Brielle has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.
A realm that only angels and demons—and Brielle—can perceive.

Angel Eyes is the first book in a Christian supernatural trilogy. Brielle (nickname for Gabrielle) returns home after the tragic death of her friend. Things are much the same in her small town, but she has changed. She has the ability to see into a different realm--the realm of angels and demons.

Pros: I like how Brielle isn't a victim. She doesn't depend on others to fix things, and isn't weak. I also like how the story is clearly a Christian story of good and evil, and doesn't try to hide it.

Cons: This story is so different from what I am used to reading. I love reading books told from the first person point of view because it allows me to feel the character's feelings, and experience the events at a personal level. BUT, and that's a big but, first person PRESENT TENSE was extremely awkward for me. In a way, it felt like I was reading a script. Just when I started getting somewhat used to it, it changed to past tense. Tense changes may not bother others, but I found it very distracting.

Overall: I chose to read this book for many reasons. Because it was Christian fiction (one of my favorite genres) it had a great title and cover, and the description sounded unique and gripping. So overall, it fit the bill. I'm just not a huge fan of fantasy or (as I've learned with this book) a present tense narrative. I feel those who enjoy reading supernatural YA fiction would thoroughly enjoy it though. 

Cover: Love it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 311
Pace: slow beginning
First Line(s): The knot in my throat is constant. An aching thing. Shallow breaths whisper around it, sting my chapped lips, and leave white smoke monsters in the air.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255