January 10, 2013

The Air We Breathe


~*~
by Christa Parrish
Inspirational Fiction

Molly Fisk Needs the Courage to Face Her Fears.
What She Finds Instead is a Most Unexpected Friendship.

Description:

Seventeen-year-old Molly Fisk does not go outside. She's ruled by anxiety and only feels safe in the tiny tourist-town museum she and her mother run and call home. Yearning to live free but unable to overcome deep wounds from her past, she stays hidden away. Then the chance arrival of a woman Molly knew six years ago changes everything. 

Six years ago, newly single Claire Rodriguez was an empty shell. Only in the unique friendship she strikes up with a young girl--a silent girl who'll only talk to Claire--does she see the possibility of healing. But one day the girl and her mother vanish, their house abandoned. What happened that drove them away? And how can Claire now offer Molly the same chance at finding a life anew?


The Air We Breathe started a little slow, but as the story unfolded, it gained a steady pace.

One of the opening scenes, in which a young girl enters a bank with her father, is captured forever in my mind. The author used such vivid imagery, I felt I was there. I love a story that pulls me in like that. 


Molly is a well developed character, and I was able to relate to her fears and inner turmoil.

I don't want to risk revealing too much about the plot, so I'll just share that The Air We Breathe is a smart and engaging story with memorable characters, and leaves a lasting impression. It isn't (in my opinion) a can't-put-it-down book, but I enjoyed it and its steady pace. Christa Parrish delivered this story in a clever and engaging way.


Cover: Like it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 345
Pace: slow start--then steady
First Line: She wanted to poke out Elvis's eyes.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Bethany House book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255