February 28, 2014

Winter in Full Bloom

Look Inside the book or Purchase it HERE

I can’t start this review without first mentioning the gorgeous cover of Winter in Full Bloom! Cover art is, in my opinion, one of the most important aspects of marketing a book. I DO judge a book by its cover—initially. That’s what makes me pick it up and read the blurb to see if the story will interest me.

With that said, I must say the story did not disappoint. I found it charming, entertaining, unpredictable, and fulfilling. The characters are well fleshed-out, and the first person account wasn’t flat or limiting. Anita Higman tells a full story that left me rewarded, and yearning to read more of her work.

Lily Winter, a widow and recent empty nester, finds out a shocking secret her mother has kept from her for over three decades, and travels to Australia in search of answers. She is a likable main character and I was able to get into her head. Her relationship with her distant mother is potent and it doesn’t take effort to sympathize with her roller coaster of emotions. The secondary characters make the story full, the settings (Texas and Australia) are palpable, the storyline keeps its focus, and the author has a beautiful way of lilting metaphorical language throughout, without overdoing it.

With a core of faith, relationships, romance, and redemption, this story moved me. It’s anything but predictable!

Cover: Love it

Title: Love it

Publisher: Moody Publishers

Pages: 305

First Lines: I sat on a 747, trying to talk myself out of a panic attack.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255