March 17, 2014

25 Ways to Communicate Respect to Your Husband: A Handbook for Wives

Look Inside HERE

25 Ways to Communicate Respect to Your Husband: A Handbook for Wives contains sound principles and follows Bible teachings. With that said, the way in which these principles are presented bothers me. It feels like a handbook from the 50s.

For established Christian women, this book can be taken in context, but I’d be leery of recommending it to a new or non-Christian for the fact that it might be taken as a chauvinistic view of marriage. (Almost a me Tarzan, you Jane mentality.) It takes both parties to make a marriage work – but reading this gives off the impression that the wife alone should do all she can to please her man. Wives should have expectations of their husbands as well.

Now, I’m not against this book. Like I said, I agree with its Biblical views of marriage, I just feel it could’ve been presented in a more modern way. Why have a man holding the card that displays the title? Why not portray it from a woman’s hands—woman-to-woman advice and guidance?  Why not give her a sense of self worth that gives her the right to have her own expectations?

This book may be your style. It may speak to you and lead you to do what is right in your marriage. But the style presented just isn’t for me.

I’m a Christian woman, married for nearly 30 years. It takes TWO individuals who put God first, and love and respect each other to make a marriage work. This handbook leans (in my opinion) too heavily on only the woman’s efforts, and not enough emphasis on communicating the needs and wants she might expect from her husband.

Publisher: Prescott Publishing
Pages: 196
First Lines: Respect. Honor. Admiration. Esteem. These are things all of us desire, but for men, the longing is particularly well ingrained.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy free from the publisher through the BookCrash.com book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255