April 2, 2014

The Widow of Larkspur Inn

Look Inside HERE
I really enjoy a strong heroine who overcomes life’s hardships, and Julia Hollis is just that. She not only struggles through her husband’s sudden death, but the tragic aftermath of his secrets threaten to bury her as well. Julia, a woman accustomed to a wealthy lifestyle, perseveres through her fears with no other choice than to make a go of this strange working world she’s never had to belong to. She has no choice, for she has children she must clothe, feed, house, and nurture.

Julia Hollis is a memorable character, and I most certainly don’t want her story to end in this book. I’d love to continue on in her life, and hope she is a main character in the sequel (I haven’t explored this yet so that very well may be….) I love the history of Larkspur Inn and feel a sense of community with the array of townsfolk.  Lawana Blackwell deserves high praise for creating such a lovely, descriptive novel.

Though I love Julia in this story, her son Phillip stole my heart. His character is so well thought out and rounded.

I only put this book down to sleep or eat and felt myself slowing the pace as I neared the last page because I didn’t want it to end. This book is a keeper. I highly recommend it.


Cover: Love it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 436
Pace: Steady
First Lines: Julia Hollis stopped reading and looked down at the child asleep in her arms. The combination of rocking chair and Tales of My Mother Goose had proved too formidable an opponent for a five-year-old's nightmares.