July 27, 2014

Captured by Love

A voyageur and a young woman swept up in a time of upheaval and danger discover firsthand the high price of freedom.

Initially I was worried when I saw this was book 3 in a series, but that quickly subsided. It works nicely as a stand-alone read.

The story takes place in during the War of 1812 on Mackinac Island – a war, and location that I know very little about. I enjoyed learning of the trials people went through during this time, and my interest is piqued to read more from this period of American history.

Jody Hedlund writing is filled with vivid imagery and heart-pulling emotion. She does a brilliant job of incorporating historical facts within her fictional stories. I learned so much about Michigan, the 1800s, and the role Mackinac Island played during the war.

Angelique is a complex and interesting character. I felt her yearnings to escape her life, and suffered her hardships right along with her. Her faults are realistic, the romance was touching, and I easily sympathized with her.

I look forward to reading more by this new-to-me author.

Cover: Like
Title: Like
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 368
First Lines: The dawn mist swirled around Angelique MacKenzie and shrouded the forest trail. She didn’t need the light of day to guide her. She knew every path of her beloved island and could run them blindfolded if need be.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from Bethany House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255