September 2, 2014

Evergreen



Oh, how I love to read a book that makes me sigh as I finish the last page—a book that gives me a warm swelling in my heart and expounds on romance and happy endings. Evergreen, a Christiansen winter novella, is such a book.

Ingrid and John, the parents of 6 grown children, are now empty nesters, going through a rough spot in their relationship. They’ve both let resentment and anger build inside, and it’s provided a wedge between them. Add their seventeen-year-old nephew, a sick pet, and a church Christmas project into the mix and the stress pot begins to boil over.

Evergreen is a full, satisfying story with memorable characters, a variety of emotions, and Christmas spirit. As I read through the pages, I felt the autumn wind, winter snow, and crackling fires. My emotions ran the gamut. I laughed, I cried, I sympathized and got angry. How can so much depth come from a short novella? Well, the secret is its gifted author, Susan May Warren. I have purchased her other books in this series, and can’t wait to read them.

As an empty nester, I can relate to Ingrid, and sympathize with her internal struggle of loss and resentment. I also empathize with her husband, John, though he often needs a kick in the rump (In a fun, bookish way.) The couple's relationship, along with the varied relationships with their children, is believable and I’ve grown to care for each of them. I must say, my favorite character is their teen nephew, Romeo. He stole the show, and captured my heart.


This book is filled with tenderness, sprinkled with forgiveness, belief, and faith. It’s the perfect blend for Christmastime. Highly recommended.

Cover: Love it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
Pages: 298
Pace: Steady/fast
First Lines: Of all the days for the pastor to expound past the allotted time for his sermon, he had to pick potluck day. The day of the quarterly business meeting. The day of the Minnesota Vikings home opener—against the Green Bay Packers, no less.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from Tyndale House. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!