September 14, 2014

Playing By Heart



Being forced out of your comfort zone is something most people can relate to, so delving into Lula’s character was effortless. I also enjoy a story that shows strong women who refuse to settle for the norm, or adhere to the restrictions put on the so-called weaker sex. Lula Bowman exudes a kind, giving personality, and it was easy to sympathize for her. She’s multi-layered, interesting, and entertaining.

Some of my favorite scenes in the book were when Lula put a male student in his place (first chapter – showing her strength as well as her fear) and when she had to fumble her way through her new coaching job. I giggled as well as empathized.

With an array of characters, unexpected situations, and varied personalities, each chapter kept me entertained. I would definitely seek out this author again and recommend it to anyone who enjoys a clean, moral, historical read.

Cover: Like it
Title: Like it
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 321
Pace: Steady
First Lines: “Mr—“ I glanced down at my seating chart, heart drumming in my ears.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from Bethany House. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255