October 6, 2014

Eight Twenty Eight - Audiobook

Purchase EIGHT TWENTY EIGHT at AMAZON

Eight Twenty Eight displays not only Ian and Larissa Murphy’s enduring love for each other, but also their growing love for God and His ways. Beginning during their early friendship-to-dating years to post-accident marriage, their love for each other, especially Larissa’s unconditional acceptance of their unexpected future, is heartening, moving and memorable. Through easy times or tragedies, God sees us through and His love is evident if we trust in Him. We can build our lives, love, and strength when Christ is our foundation.

There are many touching moments in this book. Simple sentiments, such as Larissa mentioning how Ian would use his hands and arms when he spoke (before the accident.)

Poignant quotes from the book:

“…something was shifting in my heart toward God, a desire I hadn’t known since my high school days or even earlier. Things that I had known in my head were starting to take root in my heart. ... Faith came alive in me, and I was able to look at the world in a completely different way.”

“I stepped toward him (Ian) and knelt down and as soon as I did, he reached his right arm to my left wrist and traced my skin up to my shoulder. He curved his arm around the curve of my back until I was comfortably pulled into him. He shifted his head into the curve where my shoulder met my neck. It seemed like his instinct. It seemed like he knew exactly what he was doing. And in that moment, a tingle of excitement buzzed through my heart that I’d almost forgotten how to feel. From then on I waited every night for my hug.”

“Ian was happy, his lips quickly marching into the position of a genuine smile. A practiced formation that was showing up more often, the further Ian got away from 2006.”  (After meeting his new nephew.)

“Wrapping his arms around me into a kiss, my dad left me at the altar with a man he knew couldn’t take care of me the way my dad wanted him to, but hoped this was what his daughter really, truly wanted.”

Audio Narration: Erin Spencer, the narrator, has a voice that is articulate and flows smoothly, but wasn’t quite as engaging as I’d hoped. The ‘sweet’ factor seemed almost like the she was speaking to a young audience, rather than adults. It wasn’t annoying, just a little distracting (to me.)

Audio Production Quality: The production quality of this audio book is clear, with no distracting background music, static, or skips. I feel the narrator did a decent job, but wish she used a more natural voice, rather than the sugary voice that might be better suited for children’s stories.

Overall opinion of Eight Twenty Eight: The story is told in an honest fashion, often infused with humor, as well as real emotion. Her frankness in disclosing embarrassing or painful accounts makes it easy for the reader to relate to, or empathize with her. And the descriptions create vivid imagery.

4 stars

Publisher: christianaudio
Audio Length: 7:21
Pages (printed length): 243
First Lines (introduction): I sank down into my nap, covering my tired feet in the white comforter, aching from another high-heeled day.  The cloud settled over and in between my toes, legs, waist, and body, as its goose feathers warmed my skin.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from christianaudio. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255