October 17, 2014

The One Year Women In Christian History Devotional




The One Year Women In Christian History Devotional is more than a historical book of Christian women, but more importantly, it’s a daily reminder to draw near to God.

I like how the introduction suggests the authors’ intentions of this creating this book are to make readers think, and perhaps inspire them to commit themselves to God in a new way—whether following the examples of these historical women or avoiding their errors.

This rather thick book, with 384 pages, is loaded with remarkable stories of women who’ve been significant in church history (some favorable, some not so favorable) and is organized into 14 meaningful segments:

WOMEN OF THE EARLIEST CHURCH
WOMEN OF THE PERSECUTED CHURCH
WOMEN OF THE NEWLY ESTABLISHED CHURCH
WOMEN OF THE MEDIEVAL CHURCH
WOMEN IN JESUS’ MINISTRY
WOMEN OF THE REFORMATION ERA
WOMEN OF THE ENLIGHTENMENT ERA
WOMEN OF THE MISSIONARY ERA
LESSONS FROM HYMNS PENNED BY WOMEN
WOMEN OF THE MODERN ERA (1900-1970)
WRITER’S CORNER
ASSORTED LESSONS FROM WOMEN THROUGHOUT HISTORY
WOMEN WE’RE THANKFUL FOR
WOMEN OF THE NATIVITY

The devotions are comprised of a full page for each day of the year. Most of them begin with an evocative title, a woman’s name, year of her birth and death, an evocative story, and closes with a Bible passage (quoted from various versions, such as NLT, NIV, KJV, NKJV, and NRSV.) Each story is easy to read and is packed with remarkable facts and incidents that are new to me.

My favorite sections are:
WRITER’S CORNER - I’m familiar with many of these women authors, such as Laura Ingalls Wilder, Louisa May Alcott, and Flannery O’Connor.

LESSONS FROM HYMNS PENND BY WOMEN - Although I’m familiar with many hymns, such as Just As I Am, When We All Get To Heaven, and Because He Lives, my knowledge of the women who wrote them was limited.

For those seeking inspiration, or knowledge of women in history, this is certainly a keeper.

5 stars – Recommended.

Cover: Like it
Title: Like it
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
Pages: 384


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from Tyndale House. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!