November 30, 2014

If You Were Me and Lived in Greece



“So you see, if you were me, how life in Greece could really be.”

If You Were Me and Lived in…Greece is the first book I’ve read in this early learning book series. What an interesting concept—teaching children what it would be like if they lived in different countries, visited famous landmarks, and participated in various customs.

This non-fiction series awakens an appreciation and hunger for history in young readers. Not only is the reader entertained and educated, but also builds his/her vocabulary with words from each particular culture.

If You Were Me and Lived in…Greece takes the reader through Athens, the Olympic games, and meals, names, activities, and landmarks unique to the area. How refreshing to read about peers growing up in different environments than the reader is accustomed to. I, as an adult reader, learned a thing or two. ;)

One of the aspects I really enjoyed about this book is the diverse skin and hair colors of the children in the illustrations. A child of any race or nationality will be able to relate to the boys and girls depicted.

I found the pronunciation tips for unfamiliar, cultural words throughout the story, such as the Greek words for doughnuts (loukoumades / loo-ka-mad-es) grandma (ya-ya) and school (sklayoh / sko-lay-oh) very helpful. A three-page vocabulary section in the back of the book includes additional information.


This series is recommended for young explorers who are curious about the world around them. The engaging and edifying books make unique gifts and constructive additions to any child’s bookshelf.

Interesting author fact: Carole P. Roman started writing as a dare from one of her sons.

4 stars 

Cover: Like it
Title: Like it
Pages: 30
Target Reader: Elementary school age children
First Line: If you were me and lived in Greece, you would find yourself in Southern Europe in a country that is located in the crossroad of Europe, Western Asia, and Africa.

Learn more about Carole P. Roman HERE.
Purchase or look inside the book HERE.

Books in A Child's Introduction to Cultures Around the World series:

                If you were me and lived in…Mexico
                If you were me and lived in…South Korea
                If you were me and lived in…France
                If You Were Me and Lived in…Norway
                If You Were Me and Lived in…Kenya
                If You Were Me and Lived in…Turkey
                If You Were Me and Lived in…India
                If you were me and lived in…Australia
                If you were me and lived in…Russia
                If You Were Me and Lived in…Portugal
                If You Were Me and Lived in…Greece
                If You Were Me And Lived In…Peru

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!