November 21, 2014

Surprised by Love (The Heart of San Francisco Book #3)


“Surprise us with love at daybreak; then we’ll skip and dance all the day long…. And let the loveliness of our Lord, our God, rest on us, confirming the work that we do.”  Message from Psalm 90:14-17

Surprised by Love, is the first book I’ve read by Julie Lessman. I just loved the cute, coy look of the girl on the cover art. Her persona piqued my interest, and so did the title.

This story takes place in the early 1900s. It centers on a young woman, Megan McClare, who isn’t yet comfortable in her skin. She’s coy, less than beautiful, and teased in school, until circumstances cause her to lose her unwanted chubbiness. She then tosses her thick glasses out for inventive contact lenses, and accepts an intern job at the district attorney’s office for the summer, with hopes of becoming a lawyer or doctor. Of course, you know there has to be romance involved, and a love triangle ensues, leaving the new and improved Meg spinning in confusion.

I enjoyed this story. It was fun and kept my interest, but I must point out that I haven’t read the first two books in this series, so it started out a little slow for me, as I tried to figure out who was who.

The characters are well rounded, and I got to know them fairly well, but for some reason I didn’t get a full grasp of what they looked like. Was lack of description, or my initial confusion the cause? I’m not sure. But overall, I had an enjoyable experience watching Meg’s transformation.

 An enjoyable read, though I recommend reading the first two books in The Heart of San Francisco series first.

4 stars

Cover: Like it
Title: Like it
Publisher: Revell
Pages: 416
Pace: Steady
First Line: I hope you’re hungry Mr. Caldwell, because I’m serving up crow.




Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255