December 31, 2014

A Most Inconvenient Marriage



Abigail rocked to her toes to get a better view of the farm before her, straining to see the barn. While it was a far cry from the elegant stables of her home, the large rock structure looked sturdy.


A Most Inconvenient Marriage, by Regina Jennings, is a charming story with a witty flair.

This story takes place in 1865 Missouri, as the war is coming to a close. In a unique story plot, nurse Abigail Stewart knows she’ll soon be without a job, so she agrees to marry a patient, Jeremiah Calhoun, who is nearing death. This purpose of this unconventional agreement is to make sure she has some kind of future, and to assure Jeremiah that his family and ranch will be taken care of. But when a very much ‘alive’ Jeremiah Calhoun shows up, everything goes awry.  Will they be stuck together in this inconvenient marriage?

I love it when I come across book one in a series. Even when I read that a series book can be read as a stand alone, I feel like I’m missing something if I don’t start at the beginning. Lucky me had the opportunity to read and review the Ozark Mountain series with book one.

With plenty of laughs, sighs, and uh-ohs, this story is both entertaining and touching. This isn’t my first read of Regina Jennings, and certainly not my last. It’s hard to put this book down. I could easily see this story as a movie, and can picture the characters so well. Great story twists, vivid imagery, and a satisfying end.

4 stars

Cover: Like it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 337
Pace: Steady/fast
First line (Chap.1): “First, you’re going to write a good-bye letter to my sweetheart, and then you’re going to marry me.”


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from Bethany House. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255