January 22, 2015

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter


…And thus we rust Life’s iron chain degraded and alone: and some men curse, and some men weep, and some men make no moan: but God’s eternal Laws are kind and break the heart of stone. ~Oscar Wilde (The Ballad of Reading Gaol)


Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter, is a book of daily meditations that encourage us to reflect on obstacles in our lives, strengthen our faith, and prepare our hearts for Easter.

This collection of seventy-two readings is grouped into six themes: Invitation, Temptation, Passion, Crucifixion, Resurrection, and New Life.

I like how each section opens with a relevant poem. The poetry sets the tone and readies the reader for the devotions that follow. Most readings span three to seven pages, and reveal reflective messages that lingered with me long after I finish reading them. I also like the diversity of authors, giving a variety of voices and writing styles. Though some of their views differ slightly from mine, I appreciate the learning opportunity and philosophical stimulation.

Though I’ve read from each of the six themes, I haven’t read the book in its entirety, but as of yet the final section, New Life, is my favorite. Both penetrating and inspirational, this theme produced the deepest impression in me.

Bread and Wine is a lovely, thought-provoking, heart-prickling devotional. It’s presented in a 5’x7” hardback, with a sturdy dust jacket, is a lovely addition to springtime reading, and suitable for gift giving.

Personal Note:
I have observed and celebrated Easter all of my adult life, but for most of those years I believed only Catholic or Lutheran faiths observed Lent. Upon looking further into the meaning and purpose of the Lenten season, I realize that a myriad of Christians observe it. Whether we place ashes on our foreheads (an act symbolizing our mortality and need for repentance) or not, it’s the inward fine-tuning, so-to-speak, that takes precedence.

3.5 stars


Cover: Love it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Plough Publishing House
Pages: 430



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!