January 16, 2015

Discovering Delight: 31 Meditations on Loving God's Law



Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and seek him with the whole heart. –Psalm 119:2


Discovering Delight, by Glenda Mathes, is a book of meditations, or devotions (using the KJV) focusing on finding joy and satisfaction in God’s laws. It illuminates several Psalms (largely in part Psalm 119) and their Christian application.

These meditations are helpful when we, as Christians, face adversities in life. Giving our worries over to God, rather than following our instincts to react in less than admirable ways, is one of the first steps in finding joy in God’s laws. We learn that through faith, trusting Him to see us through trying times, gives us assurance that he strengthens us through these times. His laws provide us joy.

Each chapter, or meditation, is comprised of (1) a scripture passage reading, (2) a focus verse or two, (3) an inspection of the passage, and (4) reflective questions. The question section is particularly helpful in helping the reader to meditate on God’s Word and Laws.

We all know, as Christians, we are to follow God’s laws, but finding delight in them might be a new concept to many of us. If you desire a way to spend your daily devotions in a unique way, this book is a nice avenue to take.

3.5 Stars

Cover: Like it
Title: Like it
Publisher: Reformation Heritage Books
Pages: 110
First Lines (Preface): The concept of loving law clashes in modern ears like crashing cymbals. Today’s Christians don’t want to read about law. They want to revel in gospel and grace.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from CrossFocusedReviews. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

   

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I hope this message finds you well. I have a book coming out in November and wanted to know if you would be interested in reviewing it. The genre is non-fiction, Christian devotional.

    I would be able to send you the digital version in advance to review and then physical copy in November once it is out.

    Thank you for taking a moment to read this. Feel free to reply to this or send me a direct email to davevslife @ gmail .com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Offset,

      Thank you for visiting my blog. Nice to have you. :)

      I'd be happy to read and review your Christian devotional, but I must say it'll be a little while before I can get to it.

      I have a (large) stack of books to read and review, but I'm happy to add yours to the list if you'd like. If you need a more speedy review I understand. Just let me know.

      Have a blessed week!

      Delete

I am a comment lover!