January 1, 2015

Evening Prayers For Every Day of the Year



Originally intended only for some of Blumhardt’s close friends, this book of prayers was collected after his death in 1919. Taken from evening devotions that Blumhardt held at Bad Boll, in Germany, these prayers were said without any thought of publication.

Evening Prayers For Every Day of the Year, by Christoph Friedrich Blumhardt, has been on shelves for a century! How did I not know about this book before now?

What a blessing—that I came upon it when I did.

These evening prayers, each paired with a Bible reading, have blessed me beyond measure this Christmas season, as I spent my evenings in communion with the Lord.

Each page represents a day of the year, and is comprised of the date, a Bible passage (usually taken from the New International Version) and an evening prayer. Though the pages can be read quickly, it sparks thoughts and encourages the reader to spend time in prayer and meditation.

What a difference a few moments of prayer makes as we close each day!

The only illustrations in this hardback book, other than the lovely, scenic slipcover, are each month’s divider pages—drawings of the same dormer window with slight differences in the weather or seasons. The variations range from a curtain flowing from an open window in the springtime, to a flower box, snow on the roof, or a Christmas wreath.

Charming additions, in my opinion.

I received Evening Prayers For Every Day of the Year in December, so I haven’t read it in its entirety, but today is the first day of a new year, and I plan to keep it as a companion throughout 2015.

5 Stars!

Cover: Love it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Plough Publishing House
Pages: 408



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!