January 27, 2015

Like a Flower in Bloom



“I hardly know how anyone ever dares to speak at all if you cannot say what you think and are not allowed to mean what you say. Polite society is rather rude!”

To put it simply, Like a Flower in Bloom, by Siri Mitchell, is a delightfully funny, utterly satisfying, unquestionably unforgettable experience.

Charlotte Withersby is a unique character that does not fit the mold of a Victorian era woman, which is what makes her all the more interesting. Pushed into finding a husband, she reluctantly vacates her duties as her botanist father’s aide, in hopes he’ll soon realize her extraordinary worth and beg to have her back. When her father’s new assistant, the most insufferable Mr. Trimble takes over her numerous duties, she’s certain he wont last long.

Of course nothing ever goes as planned, so Charlotte’s strategy, co-organized by the lovely Miss Templeton, her fashionable, revered, and societal etiquette-conscious friend, must constantly be tweaked.

I can’t say much more without revealing too much, so I’ll close this review by saying this is an incredible read. Not only did this book provide hours of enjoyment, but also expanded my limited knowledge of flora and led me on an incredible journey through a new (for me) genre.

Like a Flower in Bloom is witty, clever, and sure to produce oodles of lasting smiles.

Siri Mitchell is a smart storyteller, and has secured a new fan.

5 Stars!


Cover: Like
Title: Love
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 369
First Line: I shifted, glancing up from the illustration I was coloring to look out the many-mullioned window beside me.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

2 comments:

  1. You have me hooked with the review alone. And true to your blog title, I love the cover as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've zero doubt you'll love the story, J.M.!

      Delete

I am a comment lover!