February 24, 2015

The Trouble with Patience





How dare he look me over as if—as if I were stock to be evaluated for purchase!  

In The Trouble with Patience, by Maggie Brendan, Patience Cavanaugh finds herself alone and in need of way to make a living, so she sets out a plan to restore an old ramshackle of a boardinghouse. She soon meets up with the opinionated Marshal Jedediah Jones. Good and not so good sparks ensue. Will they ignite? Or crash and burn?

I’m not the most patient person. I’m not pushy or sassy, but I do like things either now or sooner. (heh heh – perhaps I’m exaggerating a bit.) Ahem. Anyway…that’s why I related to Patience’s impatience (say that fast three times!) and her less than healthy self-image. I struggled a bit to connect with her on other issues though. (She sometimes comes off as sanctimonious and impulsive—which of course leads to character growth by the time the story concludes.

I liked the Old West setting, even though the dialogue didn’t ring true in some instances. With Patience’s lack of belief in herself and Jedediah’s regrets of the past, these two had a lot of hurdles to overcome. There was character growth, (though I would’ve liked a little more depth, a little more digging into their issues) and one person’s virtues and vices seemed to aid those of the other.

If you like tender, historical romances, with a bit of danger and mystery, The Trouble with Patience is a good fit. Solid themes of forgiveness and faith flow steadily, with nice spiritual as well as soft romantic touches.

4 Stars

Cover: Like it
Title: Like it
Publisher: Revell
Pages: 337
First Lines: Trying to beat the rain, Patience Cavanaugh hurried up the single main street of raw Nevada City. But large droplets began to pelt her way ahead, leaving that distinctive smell when spring rain mingles with the thick dust of a dirt road.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book from the publisher through Revell. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!