March 23, 2015

Sand in My Sandwich



These are children who look as though they’ve fallen straight from a Michelangelo tableau. These are also children who enjoy locking both themselves and each other in dogs’ cages, partly because they find small spaces comforting and partly because they find it comforting to torture each other. (Pg. 16)

Sand in my Sandwich, by Sarah Parshall Perry, a mother of three children, two with Autism, is totally frank, yet witty, about life’s unexpected turns, twists, and breaks and the blessings found within the cracks.

When going through tough times or stressful situations, we often think nobody else understands. Nobody else could possibly be going through something similar. Well, Sand in my Sandwich proves otherwise. As mothers, we all are different and experience a wide range of simplicities and challenges, but one universal theme exists and that motherhood is a gift.

Ms. Perry’s conversational tone is fun and inviting and pulls the reader in—like having a cup of coffee with a friend, talking about the weird and wonderful things filling our days. I laughed, sighed, and perhaps shed a tear or too. I’m now an empty nester, so this lovely book reminded me of haphazard days of dirty handprints on the walls, cluttered bedrooms, tiny giggles, and pattering footsteps in the hallways. Sigh.

Motherhood is messy. It’s trying. It’s emotional, difficult, and stressful. But more than this, it’s a blessing. Embracing motherhood, warts and all, brings true joy, true satisfaction.

Sand in My Sandwich is a lovely addition to my bookshelf and perfect gift for any mother. It’s an easy, fun, emotional read that sweeps away dust bunnies of defeat and replaces them with joy and gratefulness.

4 Stars

Cover: Like it
Title: Like it
Publisher: Revell
Pages: 225
First Lines (Chapter One): I’m not famous. I am just a mother, and a writer, and ordinary in about every way imaginable. I write most days in my pajamas facing a fine view out the second-story window of a sprawling, elegant property I do not own. That is actually part of this story: the story of a life, and a messy one at that.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book from the publisher through Revell. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!