March 31, 2015

The Perfect Letter


For a decade she’d been replaying the events of that night in her head over and over late at night, on the subway, at work, wondering what if?

The Perfect Letter is a perfect blend of romance, heartache, escapism, suspense, and personal redemption.

It’s no surprise to me that Chris Harrison, the host of The Bachelor and a multitude of spin-off shows, is a hopeless romantic. It’s no surprise he knows how to captivate an audience. But a gifted writer? Who knew?

When Chris Harrison announced he had written a novel, I certainly had my doubts, though I’m a little embarrassed to admit to being so judgmental. But I know from experience that writing a well-crafted book isn’t easy! It’s an art, a craft that takes years of effort, research, and skill to master. To be perfectly honest, I thought his book would be cheesy—perhaps because, even though I never miss an episode, I find The Bachelor as cheesy as sharp cheddar. Anyway, I’m proud to admit I was wrong. I enjoyed this book from start to finish, and will most certainly read his future work.

Another reason I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book was because a man wrote it. Yeah, I know, that sounds narrow-minded, but with the exception of Nicholas Sparks, I’ve not found many male authors who write believable women main characters. Chris Harrison gets into the mind of a woman with ease—which is probably due to the endless interviews he does on Bachelor and Bachelorette.

Enough about the author, on with the story…

Leigh Merrill, a successful editor at Jenks & Hall Publishers in New York, finally returns to Texas after avoiding home for the past ten years. But the invitation to speak at the Austin Writers’ Convention comes at the perfect time, for she needs to reconnect with Chloe, her lifetime friend, more than ever. After an unexpected proposal from her boss, she needs the advice and honesty only a best friend can provide. But her present problems seem tame once the past resurfaces and she is forced to deal with the secrets she’d buried a decade ago. An old flame kindles and a new threat ignites, forcing the past and future to collide. Will love emerge from the wreckage, or will she learn from her mistakes and find a way to move on?

Both steamy and poignant, The Perfect Letter is a satisfying story that is difficult to walk away from. Hopefully, there’s a sequel in the making.


5 Stars

Cover: Love it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Dey Street Books (Sold by HarperCollins Publishers)
Pages: 320
Pace: Steady/fast
First lines: Leigh Merrill had grown up surrounded by men. She’d known men who were kind, men who were good at their work, and men who were generous, but rarely had she met one who was all of the above the way Joseph Middlebury was.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from the publisher through Edelweiss. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.