April 23, 2015

Secrets of a Charmed Life - Audiobook



I turn my head in the direction of one of the more prominent paintings in the room: a young girl in a pink dress is walking through a field of glistening-wet daisies and is holding the trademark red-and-white polka-dot umbrella. ~Secrets of a Charmed Life


Secrets of a Charmed Life, by Susan Meissner, is one of my favorite books I’ve read so far this year. As a fan of dual-time period stories, I had no doubt I’d enjoy this story, but I was surprised at how much!

This is the first story I’ve read by Susan Meissner, but certainly won’t be my last. I’ve already downloaded her audiobook, A Fall of Marigolds, with hope that it’s as good as this read/listen was.

The story, centering on a displaced young woman and her sister during the London blitz of WWII, captures the heartbreaks, horrors, and fears born from war, and encapsulates the reader into that time period. Upon completion, I feel I’ve walked the war-torn streets of London, breathed the smoky, powdery ruins, and felt the internal wounds of families torn apart.

Secrets of a Charmed Life pulled me through a horde of emotions and I’ve grown from the experience.

Audio Narration: Alana Kerr does a superb job of narrating this fine piece. Her inflection is pleasant, and she never loses my interest. I can only hope to find more audiobooks narrated by her, for her lovely accent(s) and gentle voice is inviting.

Audio Production Quality: The production quality of this audio book is clear, with no distracting background music, static, or skips.

Overall opinion: This is my favorite book of 2015, so far. The story is compelling, the narration is superb, and the writing is filled with rich history, deep meaning, and emotion.

“What good is remembering an event if you don’t remember how it made you feel? How it impacted others. How it made them feel. You would learn nothing and neither would anyone else.” ~Secrets of a Charmed Life

I’ll not soon forget this story. How it impacted me. How it made me feel. I’ve learned so much.


5 Stars!

Publisher: christianaudio
Audio Length: 11:26
Pages (printed length): 416
First Lines: The English cottage, bramble hedged and golden stoned, looks as timeless as a fairy tale except for the bobbing Mylar balloons tied to the front gate.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from christianaudio. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255