April 25, 2015

The Love Letters


I had assured Nat I was Old Order, skin to bone, despite where my parents or grandmother attended church. ~The Love Letters

The Love Letters, by Beverly Lewis, is a sweet, poignant story with themes of loss, sacrifice, and the work of miracles.

After Marlena Wenger’s grandfather dies, she leaves her Old Order in Mifflinburg, as well as Nathanial Zimmerman, the man she hopes to marry, for her Mennonite grandmother’s home in Brownstown, Pennsylvania. Mammi needs her help, and soon after, her sister is injured in a car accident and her baby is sent to Mammi’s for Marlena to care for as well. With so much going on, so much responsibility at her feet, and missing her beau, Nathaniel, she becomes confused and torn as to what she wants, believes, and where her life, and her heart is leading her.

I haven’t read a lot of Amish stories, but enjoyed this one tremendously. The characters are nicely developed, the setting and the ‘feel’ of the story are tangible, and the message is so meaningful.

4 Stars

Cover: Like it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 352
First Lines (prologue): My world tilted when Dawdi Tim passed away last winter; then it spun off its axis when my parents sent me away from my beau to be with my widowed grandmother for the summer.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from Bethany House. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.