May 31, 2015

Love's Rescue



Love’s Rescue, by Christine Johnson, the first book of the Keys of Promise series, takes place in the mid 1800s in Florida’s Key West.

The wind howled and the sea battered the hull, but nature’s tempest could not surpass the storm in Elizabeth’s heart. For four years she’d tried unsuccessfully to forget Rourke O’Malley.” ~page 19

One thing I liked about this story was the setting. The description of the Florida Keys is interesting and somehow familiar. I’ve never visited the area before, but the imagery made me feel as if I had. Another aspect I liked was the theme of ‘going back home.’ These kinds of stories have always interested me. It’s interesting to see how characters deal with their pasts—especially if they were troublesome, tragic, or painful.

I liked Elizabeth Benjamin, most of the time anyway. I wish she’d been fleshed out a bit more though. Oftentimes my emotions wavered between sympathy and annoyance, but my fluctuating feelings is what kept me turning pages.
  

About the author: Christine Johnson is the author of several books for Steeple Hill and Love Inspired and has been twice named a finalist for Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart award. When not writing, she loves to hike and explore God's majestic creation. She and her husband, a Great Lakes ship pilot, split their time between northern Michigan and the Florida Keys.


3.5 Stars.

Cover: Like
Title: Like
Publisher: Revell
Pages: 353
Pace: Steady
First lines (prologue): The gale nearly knocked Elizabeth Benjamin flat. In all of her sixteen years, she’d never experienced such terrible winds, and Key West enjoyed its share of storms.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from the publisher through Revell. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!