June 9, 2015

Hearts Made Whole


Hearts Made Whole, by Jody Hedlund, is the second book in the Beacons of Hope series, yet it can be read as a standalone. I love books with strong historical significance, and this book made me feel like I’ve visited 1865 Michigan and the Windmill Point Lighthouse.

“You have one week to vacate the premises,” Mr. Finick said matter-of-factly as he penned another note in his record-keeping book. ~pg. 17

Caroline Taylor is a likeable, nicely developed character. I sympathized with her and her unfair circumstances. Ryan Chambers, though a lost soul dealing with addiction and a haunting past, is also sympathetic.  The tension, romantic and otherwise, is interesting, especially since Caroline has little to no experience with men.

Hearts Made Whole contains solid writing, an evident story arc, and vivid imagery. The ending wasn’t as strong as I would of liked, but the story is entertaining and satisfying.

3.5 Stars

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 384
Pace: Steady
First lines: A distant flash of lightning crisscrossed the darkening skies of the west, followed by the call of a nearby loon.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from Bethany House. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.