June 9, 2015

Once Upon a Summertime


Once Upon a Summertime, by Melody Carlson, is book 1 of the Follow Your Heart series. It’s about a small town girl seeking a better career away from her sleepy hometown. I haven’t read many books that take place in New York, so this book gave me a taste for the city.  Unique, entertaining, and romantic, this story kept me interested.

Preemptive, she thought as she told them all to have a great day. Now if she could only be preemptive when it came to her own life. Was there no action to take, nothing she could do, no way to change this dead-end route her life had taken? ~page 19

The author did a fabulous job with descriptions. The imagery was vivid and gave me a feeling of familiarity, though I’ve never visited the area. The characters, though sometimes predictable, are mostly believable and sympathetic. Characters are important to me. I need to be able to relate to them or I can’t sink into the story.

If you like light reads, you’ll enjoy Once Upon a Summertime. This book is fast-paced and satisfying, and cheery. A nice feel-good beach read.

About the author: Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books with sales of more than 6.5 million. She received a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspirational market for her many books, including Finding Alice. She and her husband live in central Oregon.

4 Stars.

Cover: It's Ok
Title: Love
Publisher: Revell
Pages: 320
Pace: Steady/Fast
First lines: It had never been Anna Gordon’s dream to work for a motel—certainly not the Value Lodge. And most definitely not in the same sleepy town she’d grown up in.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from the publisher through Revell. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.