July 17, 2015

Irish Meadows


Irish Meadows, by Susan Anne Mason, takes place in the early 1900s on a horse farm on Long Island, New York, named Irish Meadows. I easily sunk into the time period and the lives of sisters, Brianna and Colleen O’Leary. They each much follow an undetermined path…but will they follow their father’s wishes, or their hearts?

Brianna bit her lip and shrugged. “Seems Daddy’s determined to find me a suitable husband.” Her mood darkened at the mere mention of a future she didn’t want. Why couldn’t Daddy understand that marriage wasn’t the only aspiration a woman could hold? ~Irish Meadows

There are many characters in this story, but I was especially drawn to Brianna. I enjoyed how the author created sisters that have contrasting personalities. They often clash, but this makes them believable.

The O’Leary family dynamics aren’t ideal, but their faults are credible and the tension is palpable. This makes the characters come alive, and kept me reading. Although they weren’t always very likeable, and I had to stretch my sympathetic heartstrings a little more than usual, I enjoyed this book and its underlying message—God has a plan for our lives and it’s our responsibility to fulfill that plan by utilizing our heads, but following our hearts.

4 Stars

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 384
Pace: Steady
First line: Late-afternoon shadows chased Gilbert Whelan up the long drive to the O’Leary mansion.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a Review Copy from Bethany House and NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.