July 12, 2015

The Mapmaker's Children



The Mapmaker’s Children, by Sarah McCoy, is the first book I’ve read by this author. I found her voice smooth, descriptive, and easy to follow.

One of my favorite things about this book is the dual-time period aspect. I love when two stories, in two different eras, collide and meld.

“This is to remain a secret, not to be spoken of to your mother, sisters, or brothers, and certainly no one outside of our family trust.” ~from Sarah Brown’s story

Beginning in the 1850s, nearing the Civil War, Sarah Brown’s story deals with the eradication of slavery—she is after all, the daughter of the Abolitionist John Brown. Sarah’s story is flavored with historical facts about the Underground Railroad, how her unique artistic skills helps the cause, how she deals with infertility, and the complex relationship she has with Freddy Hill.

What a joy when you open a book and sink into a setting and time in history! This story is entertaining, emotionally charged, and educational.

A year from now seemed as incurable as a death sentence. They were miserable and had been for a long time. What was the point, she wondered. ~from Eden Anderson’s story

Eden Anderson’s story takes place in present time, and in many ways her story mirrors Sarah’s—though in what ways is delivered slowly throughout the book. I love the description of the old house she and her husband purchase, and the secrets it holds.

These stories fuse together beautifully. The historical significance and emotional components pulled me in quickly, and kept my interest throughout the book.

4.5 Stars

Cover: Like it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Crown Publishing
Pages: 320
First Lines (Prologue): The old house on Apple Hill Lane shuddered against the weighty snow that burdened its pitch. The ancient beams moaned their secret pains to the wintering doves in the attic.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy from Blogging for Books. I was not required to write a positive review. The options I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!