August 30, 2015

The Wonder of You


Sometimes plans we have for our lives are quickly set off course. Sometimes we have no idea what path to go on and God directly places us where we didn’t necessarily want to go. These are just some of the scenarios Susan May Warren created for us in book #5 in the Christiansen Family series, The Wonder of You.

“‘Wise men say only fools rush in…’” Amelia wanted to wince at the way the lyrics rubbed along her conscience, hitting her choices from the past year and, most recently, the blow up at the Christiansen family home. ~quote from chapter one

I enjoyed Amelia’s dilemma of what to do with her life, how to do it, and with whom. Oftentimes others map out a youngest sibling’s life, but Amelia has a strong inner spirit and wants to blaze her own path—go big, or go home.

Although I’m not the youngest of my siblings, I relate to Amelia’s predicament. I was the youngest for ten years and found myself trying to please my older siblings and do what they wanted for my life. I know the fear, the failures, and the triumphs of making that turn and going another route. God instills something within us that gives us the strength and willpower to do so. It’s His plan, after all, that we must follow.

The characters and the overall feel of this story make me want to visit Deep Haven, Minnesota. The setting is a beautiful backdrop for this story centering on love, faith, family, following God’s plan.

5 Stars

Cover: Like it
Title: Like it
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
Pages: 416
Pace: Steady
First Lines: The danger of living in a big family was that to do anything of notice, a person had to go big or go home. Amelia had leaped, hoping to grab ahold of her dreams, show every one of her five siblings that she was just as amazing as the rest of them.

I received a Review Copy from BookClubNetwork. I was not required to write a positive review and the options I have expressed are my own.