September 9, 2015

The Sea Keeper's Daughters


The Sea Keeper’s Daughters is a beautifully written, expertly layered story of mystery, history, and the family dynamics of multiple generations. Lisa Wingate creates captivating characters and heart penetrating emotion, showcasing the unrelenting strength of the human soul.

“…sometimes the hardest things in life become the building blocks of the greatest achievements.” ~Quote from the book

Whitney Monroe desperately wants to save her restaurant, and her inheritance in North Carolina might be her only hope. Things aren’t so easily tied up though. There are too many things, and people, who keep tripping up her plans. While digging through family heirlooms she finds old letters that give glimpses into the past, and can drastically change the course of her future and those around her.

“If Satan has toeholds that allow him to claw and climb from the underworld to this one, they lie in our failure to see ourselves in others.” ~Quote from the book

I’ve read the entire Carolina Chronicles series and am so sad it has to end with The Sea Keeper’s Daughters! I will miss the many characters, their stories, and their hearts. My eyes have been opened to the history of the Outer Banks, the mysterious Melungeons, The Federal Writers, and so much more.

This book has such an interesting cast of characters—flawed, diverse, and relatable. I cared about what happened to each and every one of them. And like I said, I’m sad that their stories have come to an end.

“Every once in a while, you hit a minute in your life when you know the Almighty is standin’ right over your shoulder, and he’s expectin’ you to be true to yourself—to the moral fiber you got inside. And if you don’t stand up for that, you’re gonna be less of yourself tomorrow than you was today.” ~Quote from the book

A thought that came to my mind numerous times as I read this book, is how grateful I am that God puts obstacles, people, circumstances, etc., in our paths with purpose.

5 Great Big Stars!

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers
Pages: 448
Pace: Steady/Fast
First Lines: Perhaps denial is the mind’s way of protecting the heart from a sucker punch it can’t handle. Or maybe it’s simpler than that. Maybe denial in the face of overwhelming evidence is a byproduct of stubbornness.

I received a Review Copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review and the options I have expressed are my own.