September 4, 2015

Through Waters Deep


I was first introduced to Sarah Sundin’s work by her novella, I’ll Be Home For Christmas, in the anthology, Where Treetops Glisten. I enjoyed her tale of finding love, and was drawn-in by her writing style, so I was certain I’d like her newest book, Through Waters Deep.

A thrill tingled up her spine. Not only did she have an excursion to anticipate, but she had her very own mystery. ~pg. 14

I’ve read several WWII era books this past year or two, becoming entranced by the historical tragedies as well as the resilience of the human heart. So many emotions encircle the past, and placing the setting for a book among them will draw me in every time.

Told from two points of view (Mary Stirling, and her childhood friend naval officer Jim Avery) this story begins in 1941, at the cusp of the U.S. participation in WWII. Mary, a Boston Navy Yard secretary, attempts to help the FBI figure out who is behind the USS Atwood’s sabotage. Of course, feelings and blockades arise, complications and misunderstandings ensue, and the reader rides the waves of this romantic story.

A wonderfully romantic historical.

Cover: Like
Title: Like
Publisher: Revell
Pages: 384
Pace: Steady
First Line: On a platform by the bow of the USS Ettinger, Mary Stirling prepared supplies no one would notice unless they were missing.

I received a Review Copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review and the options I have expressed are my own.