February 24, 2016

Solomon's Song


I’m happy to read another biblical retelling from Christian author, Roberta Kells Dorr. After reading her narrative of David and Bathsheba (also the book’s title) I knew she would paint a lovely visual account of Solomon, and his importance in history. It is clear that Ms. Door researches her biblical history and infuses her stories with care, love, and imagination. Another emotive and memorable read.

“The sound of a flute rose and fell with a lonesome, wistful insistence, giving voice to the moonlight and making the unseen listener grieve with a sorrow deeper than tears.” ~Quote from the prologue

Solomon’s Song, by Roberta Kells Dorr, is a lovely representation of King David’s son, and future king himself, Solomon. This is a remarkable story, narrated in such a way that I was touched and lifted by the love… Wow, I love to be swept away by a book!

As was David and Bathsheba, this tale is of a forbidden love, in a sense. Yet the wedge of cultural differences and rules of the times, doesn’t stop this royal (Solomon) from falling for a shepherdess (Shulamit.)

Solomon’s Song contains a beautiful reiteration of the Song of Solomon book of the Bible. A poetic, poignant display of a longing heart captured by love.

Though the book is a retelling of the Bible story of King Solomon, I do want to say this is probably for more mature readers—perhaps teens, depending on their maturity level.

“I you had been in that room with all the other maidens yesterday, I would surely have judged you to be a lily among thorns.” ~Quote from the book

This story reveals many portions of Solomon’s life, his rivalries, hopes, frustrations, and heartbreaks. And Shulamit pops from the pages, brilliant and tangible. I’ve always been enamored by the love of Solomon, and am very satisfied with the fullness of this book.

“My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.”~ Song of Solomon 2, 2:10-13 (KJV)

5 Stars!

Cover: Like
Title: Love
Publisher: River North
Pages: 302
Pace: Steady
First Lines (Chapter 1): It was his eighteenth birthday. It should have been a day of festivity and rejoicing, but because of the famine that held the land in a death-like grip Solomon expected no celebration. Instead, he chose to ride out and observe for himself the plight of the people.

I received a Review Copy from MPNewsroom. I was not required to write a positive review and the options I have expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!