February 11, 2016

Undaunted Hope


Her lungs burned, and she had to resist the instinct to open her mouth for the air that wouldn’t be there. Darkness swirled around her. Suddenly all she could think was that her adventure had hardly begun and she was about to die. (excerpt)

Undaunted Hope, by Jody Hedlund, is the third installment of the Beacons of Hope series. But if you’ve not read the first two, don’t let that scare you away. Each can be read as a standalone.

This story takes place in the late 1800s in Eagle Harbor, Michigan, where Tessa Taylor begins teaching miners children, but she isn’t exactly what the town was expecting.

This is an uplifting story with interesting characters, and made me examine my own fears and struggles, which is probably why I related so well to many of the characters. I’ve always loved stories with teachers. I suppose this stems from my watching Laura Ingalls becoming a young teacher when I was young, and I lived through her growing pains in becoming an adult.

But enough about me…Jody Hedlund is a brilliant writer who makes a scene appear like a movie in my head. The characters come alive and I miss them when I reach the final page. This is a nicely paced tale, rich with history and a heartwarming, satisfying tone.

4 stars

Cover: Love it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 384
First lines: “You’re not the new teacher,” the bald, round-faced man said again in his childlike voice.

* I received a review copy from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!