March 7, 2016

Abraham and Sarah


Against great odds, they found love—only to endure years of disappointment. ~back cover

I love biblical retellings, and this one, centering on Abraham (Abram) and Sarah (Sarai) is enlightening. Though the story is based on the Bible account, there are always liberties taken in Biblical fiction to make a story flow. I love “getting a feel” for these people and the times that they lived in.

“I see,” she said at last, “you are not one of us. You are not a Sumerian.” She waved her hand towards the clumps of men. “You will wait here until you are chosen by one of them,” she said. “He will pay the goddess for your favors. ~page 11

Abraham and Sarah, by Roberta Kells Dorr, is a representation of these Biblical figures, with a mixture of history and fiction. The fictionalized parts aren’t to steer anyone from the actual events, but they only make the story more full-bodied and visual. The historical time and place in which it took place is clearly portrayed, and provides wonderful visuals.

“My son, at times you are a puzzle to me, but I must admit you have gladdened my heart more than all my other children.” ~page 20

From his marriage to Sarah, to God’s promise, Abraham’s life and legacy is a touching, miraculous, memorable story. He and Sarah were both far from faultless, but their journey is still told through the ages, and is life changing.

5 Stars!

Cover: Like
Title: Love
Publisher: River North
Pages: 272
Pace: Steady
First Lines: Nahor cursed and spat. “It’s just one night in the temple of the goddess. That’s not going to hurt her saucy arrogance as far as I can see.”

I received a Review Copy from MPNewsroom. I was not required to write a positive review and the options I have expressed are my own.