March 7, 2016

The Sons of Isaac


A story so timeless, it could have been taken from today’s headlines. ~back cover

Christian fiction and Biblical retellings are some of my favorite genres to read. I’ve always loved the story of Isaac told in the Bible. His childhood is fascinating, and his life story makes a big impact. No matter how many times I’ve read the account in the Bible of Isaac and Rebekah’s first meeting, I always get chills. Their lives together have many ups and downs, and they make a big impact on those who come after.

“Father says he called me Rebekah, or noose,” she said, “because I was pretty enough to catch a rich husband.” ~page 3

The Sons of Isaac, by Roberta Kells Dorr, is a compilation of people and stories from the Bible, infused with the author’s gift of fictional storytelling. The fictionalized parts make the story more full-bodied and visual, but don’t distract or detract from the Biblical account (in my opinion.)

Since Isaac was to have the birthright and the blessing, he must marry someone suitable. It couldn’t just be one of the local women who believed in omens, charms, and idols. It must be someone like Sarah who understood why they lived apart from the cities and worshiped the creator God. ~page 21

There is a lot of ground covered in this book. The only reason I give this story 4 stars rather than 5 is that it felt like too much information, too many years, too many characters… In my opinion, some of it could’ve been condense or perhaps put into a different book. But overall, I enjoyed this book.


4 Stars

Cover: Like
Title: Love
Publisher: River North
Pages: 272
Pace: Steady
First Lines: Old Nahor shuffled out of his room and squinted up at the sky that appeared as a bright, blue patch above the walled courtyard. “It’s a good day for a wedding,” he muttered.

I received a Review Copy from MPNewsroom. I was not required to write a positive review and the options I have expressed are my own.