May 18, 2016

Land of Silence


If the LORD had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence. (Psalm 94:17 ESV)


Land of Silence is the first book I’ve read by Tessa Afshar. Her writing style is superb, and she moves the story forward with purpose and an elegant smoothness.

Although little is said in the Gospels about the woman with the twelve-year bleeding issue, Ms. Afshar gives a compassionate, fictional account of her life prior to the miracle of healing that occurred as she reached out in faith and touched the hem of Jesus’ garment.

This novel is both tragic and marvelous, showing us how young Elianna’s sufferings and sacrifices bring her to a place of healing. For it’s through perseverance that we gain strength and character.

I adore this character. Elianna is believable, and her dilemmas are authentic, especially for Biblical times. Times were much different then, but her struggles are easy to relate to, easy to sympathize with.

Ms. Afshar hauled me through the trenches with this Biblical retelling, drawing nearly every emotion out of me. As I neared the end of the book, no matter how I tried to slow my pace (to make the story last longer) I quickly turned the pages until I came to the satisfying end.

I highly recommend this book. I love delving into Biblical retellings, getting a feel for the customs, hardships, and lessons we learn from Bible times. And when a story leaves me changed, I become a fan—I’ve already purchased another Tessa Afshar novel, and I can’t wait to get started.

5 Stars

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Tyndale
Pages: 400
Pace: Steady
First Lines: When I think of the ruin my life has become, the slow wrecking of my dreams, the destruction of every love, I always return to the bee. That one tiny sting, which robbed my place of favor in my father’s heart and changed the course of my destiny.

I received a Review Copy from Tyndale Publishers.