June 29, 2016

Dawn at Emberwilde



Dawn at Emberwilde, is the second book in the Treasures of Surrey series, by Sarah E. Ladd, but it serves as a stand-alone. I love it when I can peek into the middle of a series and not feel lost.

Young Isabel Creston is a trustworthy, willful, and interesting character, and she took me on a journey to another place and time. She’s multi-layered and I cared about her and what she was going through. (I easily related to many facets of her.) I’m not a huge Regency reader, but I loved getting sucked into this one.

This multidimensional story of romance and mystery keeps the pacing of this story going strong, though I wish the romance between Isabel and Collin went a little deeper and felt more authentic. It was enough to keep me reading, but I would’ve liked a little more passion, rather than attraction.

Loaded with history and mystery, this light romance has me itching to read the other books in the series. Sarah Ladd is a unique and intriguing writer. I really like her storytelling style. Gorgeous cover art, characters, and story.


Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 348
First Line: Mrs. Brathay’s shrill voice shattered the late-morning silence like a warbler’s call unsettling dawn’s still mist.


I received a Review Copy from BookLook.