July 29, 2016

Delilah: Treacherous Beauty


Another stunning biblical retelling by Angela Hunt! A lot of research and dedication goes into writing, especially when the characters are based on real people. Angela Hunt put a lot of care into the story of Delilah, who I feel I know so much better now.

“…if the people of Gaza cannot accept your black skin, what makes you think they will accept mine?” ~Quote from the book

Delilah…Treacherous Beauty is the third book in the three-part A Dangerous Beauty series. Each of these novels are spectacular and difficult to put down once you start them. (#1 Esther, 2014, Bathsheba, 2015, and #3 Delilah, 2016.)

Ms. Hunt has developed an easy to read and relate story, even though this takes place during Old Testament times. I feel I’ve walked the ancient streets and experienced the hardships of that era.

“Like hungry vultures, men would stop moving and remain still, their gazes fastened to me. If I happened to glance at their faces, their expressions made me feel that I was something other than a girl—an animal to be hunted, perhaps, or an opponent to be humbled.” ~Quote from the book

From the very first two lines, I was completely and hopelessly hooked. Opening lines can make or break a reader’s attention, and this one fiercely grabbed me. I felt Delilah’s intense emotions and could see the world through her eyes.

The story is told from Delilah’s and Samson’s first person views, which I enjoyed. The first person telling makes it easy for me to feel their emotions, see their views, and understand their faults. Though we already know what the Bible says about this pair, Ms. Hunt gives us a fictional account of Delilah’s past, and why she thinks and acts the way she does.

A powerful story of loss, love, and betrayal.

5 Stars!

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 3852
Pace: Steady/Fast
First Lines: No woman sets out to be wicked. I’m not sure I can say the same thing about men.

I received a Review Copy from Bethany House and NetGalley.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!