July 16, 2016

Esther: A Novel


Esther, by Rebecca Kanner, is a lovely retelling of the biblical story of Queen Esther! I love how realistic this story feels--with the gritty, usually unsaid and unread atrocities of the day. I love the ease at which I sunk into this story, and how much research the author put into this book. Ms. Kanner is a gifted writer who draws readers in from the first words.

I often relate to the underdog, and root and cheer for them when they overcome life's obstacles. I experienced a myriad of emotion, reading this story, and it's going on my keeper shelf.

“I could have told him I was descended from the great king David, the second king of Israel who had lived some five hundred years before, but then he would know I was a jew.” (Excerpt)

Reading this book was very timely for me, with the racial (and otherwise) unrest in our world. It takes courage and persistence to overcome, and a huge responsibility to keep on keeping on.

A brilliantly told story that is memorable, powerful, and inspiring.

5 Stars!

Cover: Like
Title: Love
Publisher: Howard Books
Pages: 400
Pace: Steady
First Lines: They were the night itself. First the darkness, and then the blinding light of torches that hid the stars.

I received a Review Copy from the publisher via NetGalley.