September 8, 2016

DON'T: How Using the Right Words Will Change Your Life


Unlock the do in don’t…

I’m sure all of us have gotten the lyrics to a song stuck in our heads and find ourselves incessantly humming or singing it. When I’m aware I’m doing it I try to stop before I drive myself crazy. (e.g. the Barney song. You’re welcome.) That’s similar to what I do now that I’ve read this book—catch myself as the word don’t is about to trickle off my tongue. I’m learning to search for alternative ways to say (or write) my statement to infer a more positive feel or outcome. In essence, I’m reprogramming my brain.

“When we use positive words they strengthen areas in our frontal lobes and promote the brain’s cognitive functioning, making us more cognitively healthy.” (excerpt)

I’m a positive person, a picker-upper. In seeking for the positive in even the most tragic or unfortunate circumstances we influence others (knowingly or not) to do the same.  This book’s message does something similar—showing us how using the right words not only influence our behavior and thoughts, but those of others as well.

“…the average child hears 432 negative comments or words per day, versus 32 positive ones.” (excerpt)

The bottom line is WORDS HAVE POWER. If you’ve ever received a backhanded compliment, then you understand how particular words and phrases project negative connotations. This is true even when the words are said with the best intentions. (Don’t touch the hot stove! Don’t give up!) Words like don’t automatically put our brains in a defensive or negative mode. Motivational speeches encourage and inspire people by using positive words and an affirmative approach. Therefore… need I say more?


DON’T, by Bob Selden, is an interesting book, written with authority, and humble, easy to understand language. (I especially enjoyed the sections dealing with creating images with your speech and using metaphors.) A truly inspiring read.

5 Stars!

Cover: Like
Title: Love
Publisher: Port Campbell Press
Pages: 276
ISBN: 978-0994450807
First Lines (Introduction): Some years ago in the sports section of my local newspaper I read a report by Spiro Zavos which described the behaviour of a football coach during a very tense finals game. The antics of the losing coach gave a clear insight into why his team did not win and in fact why it continues to lose many games.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!