September 25, 2016

Under the Tuscan Sun


You won’t hear (or see) me say (or write) this very often, but in the case of Under the Tuscan Sun, by Frances Mayes, I enjoyed the movie much more than the book. [Gasp!] Could it be true? I can only think of two other instances that I could say that without laughing afterward, because books out-rule, out-inspire, and out-last more than 99.9% of all movies (in my opinion.)

With that said, there were parts of this story that I really enjoyed. I liked the poetic style of the author and the emotions conveyed, but favored them mainly because I could picture scenes from the movie.

If you haven’t seen the movie (which, by the way is spectacular,) I think you might enjoy this book better than I did. I love descriptions, but feel the book over does it. Not a bad book, but not exactly what I was expecting. I’ve been to Tuscany several times, and don’t think the book captured as much of its charm as it could have.

3 Stars

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Broadway Books (reprint edition)
Pages: 320
ISBN: 978-0767900386

I received a review copy from the publisher via BloggingForBooks.