October 31, 2016

Shadow of the Storm


I loved this book. It transported me back to the days of Moses and his people after their escape from Egypt. The story focuses on the (fictional) life of Shira, a young Levite woman pulled in many directions—her haunting past, and her unsure future. She finds love in many things, the Lord, her family, etc., but she also finds it in a man she doesn’t know that she can trust, and a calling in which she fears she isn't strong enough to commit.

Shadow of the Storm, by Connilyn Cossette, is the second book in her Out of Egypt series. It does a fine job as a standalone. Told from two perspectives, Shira (a Levite) and Dvorah (an Egyptian) who have completely different experiences and outlooks on life. Shira is soft, Dvorah is firm, but they both struggle through life in search of comfort, safety, and happiness.

It is not only entertaining to read of these women’s stories, but also eye-opening to the way things were in that era. Though the story is fictional, it really showcases the customs of that time, how women needed protection, and societies were disconnected.

I sped through this book, enjoying the short chapters that kept me up later than I’d planned. The pacing was superb. I didn’t want the story to end. And I’m guessing it will continue on in an Out of Egypt book 3.

Shadow of the Storm is a brilliantly written biblical fiction book. I can’t wait to read more from this emotional, meaningful, and heart-touching series. I received a complimentary copy of this book via Bethany House and NetGalley.


5 Stars

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Bethany House
Pacing: Steady/Fast
Pages: 352
ISBN-13: 978-0764218217
First Lines: Wild drumbeats rumbled through the ground like distant thunder, pulsing defiant rhythms and vibrating the hollows of my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!