November 18, 2016

A Portrait of Emily Price


This is the second book I’ve read by Katherine Reay. What a talented storyteller! She has a unique voice and sets a scene that is so easy to sink into.

A Portrait of Emily Price takes place in both Georgia and Italy. Being from the south, and having visited Italy twice, I was able to visualize every scene, taste every dish, and breath in the fragrant baked breads. The story begins in Atlanta, but came alive for me once it moved on to Italy. Thought the town is a work of fiction, it fits so well with the Italy I’ve come to know—the people, the insane driving, walled cities, and narrow passageways.

It was that, that drive to fix what was broken, that resonated with me. ~excerpt

Just as in Ms. Reay’s first book, Dear Mr. Knightley, these characters are fleshed out nicely. Even though there are different families, cultures, etc. I was never confused as to who was who, or who was where. And the artwork that is described is incredible. I know little about art and painting, but feel like I’ve watched masterpieces being restored. And the cooking, an art form itself, makes me yearn to make my own pasta and experiment with Italian recipes.

 "She says some things can't be fixed. We just have to endure them." ~excerpt

No story is complete without growth, understanding, and love, and this book satisfies beautifully. Emily is easy to sympathize with, Ben is an Italian stallion with a heart of gold, and their families aren’t without major flaws, but I loved each one in different ways. I love everyone’s different views of life and love, and I hope their stories don’t end here. Some of the secondary characters, namely Francesca (Ben’s sister) or Joseph (Ben’s brother) deserve stories of their own.

Cover: Love it
Title: Love it
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 368
Pace: Steady/fast
First Lines: Piccolo. The restaurant matched its name—a tiny and delicate white stucco building with a short, neat brick walk leading from its front door to the parking lot.
I received a complimentary copy from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!