November 14, 2016

All the Pretty Things


I love books that take place in the south, and enjoyed the Appalachian setting in this story. Although I didn’t experience the hardships that Edie Wadsworth faced, I see similarities in a dear friend’s life. I’ve seen how not having a strong male figure in the family can damage a young girl’s self-esteem and heighten the need for approval and acceptance. Even if you didn’t have a difficult childhood, it is easy to empathize and relate.

I really had no idea what this story was going to be about, and wasn’t aware it was a memoir, but in a way that made it all the more intriguing. My heart went out to young Edie and the things she overcame, such as an alcoholic parent, adult responsibilities as a child, etc, but I also admire her inner strength and desire to be something bigger than her upbringing.

Although this isn’t the type of story I normally read, I enjoyed learning of Edie’s life. There are heartbreaking parts that were difficult for me to read (and imagine) but none of the content is written unnecessarily—it all holds a purpose. With a theme of overcoming hardships and reaching for the stars, this story is both eye opening and inspiring. No matter the obstacle, there is always hope

4 Stars

Cover: Like
Title: Love
Publisher: Tyndale
Pages: 320
ISBN: 978-1496403384
I received a complimentary copy from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!