December 29, 2016

The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill


The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill is the first book in the Tales From Ivy Hill series.

The charming English village setting is illustrated with a neighborhood map in the front of the book making it easy to visualize the neighborhood. I sunk into this setting and time period rather easily.

I cared about the Inn, and was able to relate to the two widows, Jane and her mother-in-law, Thora, but there were so many secondary characters that I found it difficult to focus or become dedicated to any one person in particular. The pacing was also rather slow, at least in the first half of the story, so my interest tended to wane here and there. I am not giving up on the series, but hope the next book is more succinct and faster paced.

All in all, this is an interesting read with interesting characters, but moved along slower than I prefer.

3 Stars

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Pages: 448
Pace: Slow/Steady
ISBN: 978-0764218132
First Line: Jane Fairmont Bell sat alone in the keeper’s lodge she had once shared with her husband.
I received a complimentary copy from the publisher.