December 6, 2016

The Pattern Artist



I haven’t read many books that are set in the early 1900s, so The Pattern Artist, by Nancy Moser, was a neat adventure for me. I enjoy stories about new beginnings, and this one showcases an eager immigrant girl, with high hopes and dreams, visiting the States (New York) for the first time.

She wanted to go to America. She wanted to experience everything. If they were content to live in the cottage where Ma was born, taking in laundry or doing odd jobs to get by, let them. Annie had dreams. ~excerpt

Annie Wood is a gentle soul with aspirations of working her way up from a housemaid to a lady’s maid, even though that isn’t usually how it works. She works hard and puts up with a lot from her higher-ups, and gets very little credit or recognition. When she finds an escape with her new friends Iris and Danny, her troubles seem to worsen and the road to success is uphill.

Annie is a fine example of an immigrant chasing the American Dream. It is realistic, in that she doesn’t click her fingers to make it happen. She struggles and battles her way, and finds the courage and strength to continue the chase.

As a child and young teen, I was taught to sew by my grandmother. There were many parts in this book that evoked treasured memories of my younger days. I love it when a book stirs up those nostalgic feelings.

For me, the story moved at a slower pace than I would’ve liked, and there was a lot packed into to one book making it overwhelming at parts, but overall the story holds a nice blend of adventure, romance, and faith.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via Barbour and Netgalley.

4 Stars

Cover: Like
Title: Love
Publisher: Barbour Publishing
Pages: 320
Pace: Slow/Steady
ISBN: 978-1634097925

First Line:Annie Wood! I demand you wipe that ridiculous smile off your face. Immediately!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!