December 13, 2016

The Silent Songbird



One of my favorite reads this year!

I feel as if I’ve just stepped out of a fairytale. What a delightful read! There isn’t anything about this book that I don’t absolutely adore. The characters are enchanting, the setting is sublime, and the romance is as delicious as a decadent dessert! The Silent Songbird is a beautiful, magical book.

Though a ward of King Richard II, Evangeline has not lived a pleasant life. She longs for freedom to live and love how and whom she pleases. Even the lives of the servants are more appealing in her eyes.

When Evangeline learns she is destined to live a political and loveless marriage to the older, repulsive Lord Shiveley, she seeks a way to escape the life her cousin, the king, has arranged for her.

“How good it would feel, walking free through the fields of wildflowers I read about in a poem once, breathing the fresh air, free to go wherever I want.”  ~excerpt

Oh, I can feel Evangeline’s desperation, and sympathize with her plight. Nobody in their right mind would want to be trapped in a passionless life, with no freedom to seek what their heart yearns for. And it’s nearly impossible not to fall in love with her kind-yet-spunky personality, and root for her quest for liberty.

This book is a real page-turner. I was drawn in from the very first chapter, forcing myself to put the book down only when the very lives of those around me depended on it. (Okay, I’ve been known to exaggerate, but only a wee bit.)

Westley could not help looking at the red-haired beauty every time she came within his view.  ~excerpt

Whether Lords, castles, and distressed maidens are your ‘thing’ or not, I highly recommend The Silent Songbird. It’s a witty, endearing and memorable tale. The dialogue is easy to understand (no thee, thou, or such) and the story flows superbly. I only hope to revisit Evangeline, Westley, Muriel, and the others in another book.

I beg thee, Melanie Dickerson (author), for a sequel!

5 Stars

Cover: Love
Title: Love
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 304
Pace: Steady/Fast
ISBN: 978-0718026318
First Line: Servants may marry whomever they want, but a king’s ward has no freedom at all.
I received a complimentary copy from the publisher.