February 23, 2017

A Note Yet Unsung



Oh my. What a lovely book! A Note Yet Unsung is a beautiful blend of faith, love, and musical history. The rich storytelling and extraordinary characters not only entertained me, but taught me so much about women and music during the 1800s.

Why was she so anxious? She’d auditioned for a symphony a thousand times—in her dreams. ~Excerpt

I love the mix of fictional and historical characters, and the imagery throughout this story is magnificent. I have nothing negative to say about a single aspect of this story. Even the length, over 400 pages, which I’m not usually fond of, is the perfect span to tell this tale. As I neared the last page, as I often do with a spectacular book, I read slower, in an attempt to make the story last as long as possible.

I went through a myriad of emotions as I read. I was frustrated, soothed, surprised, saddened, angered, and inspired. What a gift Ms. Alexander has. I can’t wait to read the other books in the Belmont Mansion series.

She was here, home, with her mother likely only a room away, and all she could think about was leaving again. ~Excerpt

I was enamored by Tate Whitcomb, inspired by Rebekah Carrington, and touched by Demetrius, Delphia, Adelicia, and many others. (I won’t even mention the ones that made me angry or appalled. Grr…) I’ve entered a fresh world, the orchestral world of the 1800s, and I don’t want to leave it any time soon.

I can’t end this review without mentioning a lovely poem in this book, titled The Last Load. In the Author’s note at the end of the story, Ms. Alexander reveals her late father-in-law, Fred Alexander, wrote the poem. I love this man’s spirit, and the heart of Ms. Alexander for using it in her work. Lovely.

5 Stars


Cover: Love
Title: Love
Pages: 432
Series: A Belmont Mansion Novel Book 3
Publisher: Bethany House
ISBN: 978-0764206245
First Line (Chapter 1): Rebekah Carrington stood shivering across the street from her childhood home, satchel heavy in hand, cloak dusted with snow.
I received a complimentary copy via the publisher and Netgalley.