February 15, 2017

An Uncommon Protector


Oh…I love it when a book surprises me. And I love it when a book plays through my head like a movie.

An Uncommon Protector is the first book I’ve read by Shelley Shepard Gray. It’s also one of the few stories I’ve read that take place during the Civil War era. What a unique and memorable read!

Tilting her chin down, she made sure to keep her pace steady. And tried not to think about how one man’s attention could rattle her so much. ~Excerpt

Laurel Tracey is a very kind and likeable character, and it's easy to sympathize with her situation. She is soft, charitable, and womanly, but has a streak of spunk and doggedness. Though the cover art is lovely, it depicts her as thin and dainty, while in the book she's described as curvy, soft, and perhaps even plump. I wish the cover depiction were more on point.

Thomas Baker is the main reason I rate this story with five stars. He is a fascinating, robust, manly, super-flawed man with a whole lot of heart. Swoon! I love how he surprises me, how he's good yet flawed, tough yet altruistic. I have a vivid picture of him in my mind… Have you ever seen the classic movie, Cool Hand Luke, starring a young Paul Newman? That is Thomas Baker. He is handsome, tough, charming, and gritty—allowing his mouth to get him in heaps of trouble. I won’t soon forget him.

Thomas had never been one for compassion, but even he couldn’t deny the appeal of a beautiful woman who was in need of a protector. ~Excerpt

As I mentioned before, this story surprised me. Not only in plot, but also how quickly it sucked me in, and the profound effect the characters had on me. There are some mildly violent scenes, but I consider this a clean, realistic, and fascinating read. Loved it!

5 Stars


Cover: Love
Title: Love
Pages: 320
Series: A Lone Star Hero’s Love Story
Publisher: Zondervan
ISBN: 978-0310345428
First Lines (Chapter 1): Everyone said they were dangerous. Laurel assumed it must be true. But that didn’t stop her from taking another peek out her open sitting room window at one specific prisoner.
I received a complimentary copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!