March 25, 2017

My Heart Belongs in Fort Bliss, Texas: Pricilla’s Reveille



I love historical fiction, and My Heart Belongs in Fort Bliss, Texas: Pricilla’s Reveille is a good example of why. I am able to open the pages of a book and visit a time in the past. I loved the vivid scenery, and felt the fears and difficult realities of living in the early 1800s.

1847 Fort Bliss, Texas is a unique setting, and Erica Vetsch, the author, did a fabulous job of pulling the reader in. I easily sunk into the era and experienced the rising tension with the surrounding tribes, as well as the growing attraction between Priscilla and Elliot. Their stories are believable and I was able to relate in many ways to Priscilla’s thoughts of the military and it’s soldiers. Although I don’t see things the same way she did, I can understand, due to her personal experiences, why she had those thoughts and fears.

This is a full, rich story, though a relatively quick read. It offers themes of acceptance, forgiveness, and resilience. My Heart Belongs in Fort Bliss, Texas: Pricilla’s Reveille is an inspiring, hard-to-put-down book. I’d love to have this story continue.

5 Stars


Cover: Like
Title: Love
Pages: 256
Series: My Heart Belongs In series
Publisher: Barbour Books
ISBN: 978-1634099301
First Line: Only the army would think a place like this worth defending.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing (and NetGalley) and was under no obligation to post a review.