March 10, 2017

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir


The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir opens in the English village of Chilbury, at a graveside service for a young WWII soldier. The choir struggles through the songs, due to the town vicar’s belief that the Chilbury choir should be closed down. The men are off at war, and the choir can’t survive with only women...can it?

Things change when Primrose Trent, a music professor, forms a controversial ladies choir. A myriad of women, some reluctant at first, are soon brought together to sing more beautifully than before.

I like how diverse the women are, and how their circumstances shape their outlook. I also like the mixture of joy, heartbreak, romance, and hardship that the women carry through wartime. But I am mostly partial to how the women are brought together through it all.

The epistolary style, storytelling through letters, may not be for everyone, but my interest was piqued through this fresh fashion. Some of the characters are more believable than others, and I wish I was able to relate to some of them on a deeper level, but overall I found this a charming, uplifting, and unexpectedly witty novel.

3.5 Stars

Cover: Like
Title: Like
Pages: 528
Publisher: Random House
ISBN: 978-1524751890
First Lines: First funeral of the war, and our little village choir simply couldn’t sing in tune. “Holy, holy, holy” limped out as if we were a crump of warbling sparrows.
I received a complimentary copy via LibraryThing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!